Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

6.04.2013

Breaking the Scale

So I have been thinking for some time about the scale: literally my worst enemy in this world! I know that I have an addiction with the scale and I have wanted to write about my addiction for some time, but lacked the courage to tell the full truth on my blog. After reading Mama Laughlin this morning and Skinny Meg- I decided that if they are 25-30 lbs smaller than me, and had the guts to write about their number obsessions, well then, so can I!

I don't know where it stems from, but I have a habit. A BADDD habit (insert confession): I weigh myself not only multiple times a week, but also multiple times a day. That is not healthy WHAT SO EVES! IT must stop. Mama Laughlin discussed this morning via her blog that she was in 2 lbs cycles or 4 lb cycles (depending on her weight—she gained and lost the same pounds after eating clean all week and going totes crazy on the weekend) – WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO. I feel that I am on a merry go round of scales. Depending on the time of day, the day of the week, what I have eaten, how hard I have kicked butt at cardio or weights, how much I drink--- my weight changes—hello, so does everyone’s!

I accumulate my success with a number. That's 100% wrong. I give advice to others to not do that, in hopes to shield them from the obsessive weighing habit I have.
I know it is unhealthy, and I can see where this is going.

So today, it stops.

I think 1 x a month is sufficient enough to measure and weigh. Other than that, I am sabotaging myself. I let whatever number that pops up at 5:45 am, dictate how I feel the rest of the day.
Today when I get home, I am removing the scales (yes I have two) and I am going to continue on plan. The 1st of every month, I will weigh in and measure. Other than that, I will whole heartedly accept the compliments I am getting from melting those inches off and building lean muscle tone—instead of feeling that “yea, but I gained 3 mystery pounds since yesterday" feeling!

You might, at this point, be in total shock from reading this post, or you might be right where I am and for the first time, understanding that there is only so many times to convince myself that I am "keeping myself accountable" by weighing in every morning-- the reality is, I am just a prisoner to the scale-- when I yearn for freedom from this exterior shell , why do I still gravitate towards being a prisoner.

Break the habit of the scale-- you possibilities are endless when you pay attention to how you look and feel, instead of "your number."

This weekend, I went shopping in Houston. I tried on a pair of size 12 shorts from Ann Taylor Loft and they fit. I didn’t say they looked good, but I zipped those puppies up and they fit my body. Now, I probably needed another 5-8 lbs knocked off to wear them in public, but the point is that I haven’t worn a 12 since I was 155 lbs. I am 178 right now, so what that tells me is, that the number CAN be misleading!

Inches are where you will see your progress. Feeling good all day with energy is where you will see your progress-- NOT A NUMBER! SkinnyMeg talks today about how she was surprised after several months of not weighing, to weigh in at 153—and that her body was actually SMALLER than last summer, when she weighed in at 148! I believe it folks! She discussed back in march on THIS POST about how it is so easy to become a scale addict-- like me

Let's break free-- the time is now -- BREAK THE SCALE ADDICTION-- or the scale if you are really crazy!

Transformation Tuesday Pic (after only 6 weeks of advocare, working out, and clean eating-- with some cheats--(wine, nutella, and the list goes on and on LOL- I feel happier, stronger, and more glowy than before  I was doing paleo and running only in October-November before the holidays! I think I look a lot more healthier and happier too in just a 6 weeks span.





-- follow me on instagram-- godlygaudygirl



1 comment:

  1. Keep up the hard work! You can do all thinhs through Christ our lord and Savior.

    ReplyDelete